A Brief History of Gamage Shipyard and the Area
The rounded peninsula that is today the Gamage Shipyard and Marina stands has been a prominent South Bristol landmark for more than 250 years.
Shipyard in County Deed Records
In the early 18th century, Colonel David Dunbar, a representative of the Crown of England, brought Scotch-Irish settlers to the Bristol peninsula. The property where the shipyard stands first appeared in County deed records in 1787, and the land was owned by a number local fishermen through the first half of the 19th century.
A & M Gamage Shipyard
The A & M Gamage Shipyard
The recorded history of shipbuilding here began in 1871, with the purchase of land including the marina acres by Albion and Menzies (A & M) Gamage, who had been building large wooden sailing vessels since the early 1850s. Over the next 50 years, the well-regarded brothers built more the 88 sail and steam-powered boats, selling them both locally and as far away as New York and maritime Canada. Many of their fishing vessels were in the Boothbay and Southport fleets, as well as the large Gloucester, Massachusetts fishing fleet. Three of the last boats from the yard were steamboats that made up the early Damariscotta Steamboat Company fleet – Anodyne (1895), Bristol (1901) and Newcastle (1902).
A proud Maine boatbuilding heritage
Our yard’s heritage – which includes the building of such notable vessels as the Mary Day, Shenandoah, Harvey Gamage, Clearwater, Bill of Rights, Appledore II , and American Eagle – inspires us every day to strive for only the highest quality.